Navy extends public comment period for the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) – In response to requests from elected officials, the Navy has agreed to extend (by 30 days) the public comment period for the Draft EIS for EA-18G Growler airfield operations at Naval Air Station (NAS) Whidbey Island complex. The original extended public comment period of 75 days was due to conclude January 25, 2017. THE COMMENT PERIOD WILL NOW CONCLUDE ON FEBRUARY 24, 2017.
- Please click here to read the Navy’s press release for the extension of the public comment period.
- Please click here to read the Newspaper Notice as published in local newspapers beginning January 20, 2017.
- Please click here to read the Amended Notice for Extension of the Comment Period as published by the EPA in the Federal Register on January 23, 2017.
- Please click here to read the Notice of Extension of Public Comment Period as published by the Navy in the Federal Register on January 24, 2017.
Notice of Availability (NOA) for the Draft EIS and notice of open house public meetings – The Navy published an NOA for the Draft EIS for EA-18G "Growler" Airfield Operations at NAS Whidbey Island Complex in the Federal Register on Thursday, November 10, 2016. The publication of the NOA initiated an extended public comment period lasting 75 days, beginning on November 10, 2016, and ending on January 25, 2017 (the comment period will now conclude on February 24, 2017).
The Navy held five open house public meetings in December 2016 to provide members of the public with the opportunity to submit comments on the Draft EIS.
- Please click here to read the NOA and Notice of Public Meetings as published in local newspapers.
- Please click here to read the Navy’s media release.
- Please click here to read the Notice of Availability as published in the Federal Register on November 10, 2016.
- Please click here to read the Notice of Public Meetings as published in the Federal Register on November 18, 2016.
Information regarding the availability of the Draft EIS is provided on the Public Involvement page and has also been mailed to interested members of the public who have submitted their contact information to the project mailing list.
|Please go to the Current EIS Documents page to download a copy of the Draft EIS. For information about open house public meetings and to download public meeting materials, please go to the Public Involvement page.
Past announcements can be viewed on this website by selecting the “Public Involvement” tab above or by clicking here.
ABOUT THIS SITE
The Navy has prepared a Draft EIS for EA-18G Growler airfield operations at the NAS Whidbey Island complex, Washington. The Draft EIS evaluates the potential environmental effects associated with an addition of up to 36 aircraft to NAS Whidbey Island. The purpose of the Proposed Action is to improve the Navy’s electronic attack capability and to provide the most effective force structure and tactical airborne electronic attack capabilities. Once completed, the EIS will meet the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) as well as all applicable state environmental regulations.
The Navy is committed to engaging the community throughout the EIS process. This website provides information about the EIS process, including previously completed NEPA studies and efforts for NAS Whidbey Island; project background; EIS project schedule; and opportunities for public involvement. Updates to this website will be made throughout the EIS process to keep you informed about the project.
Please use the buttons at the top of the webpage to navigate through the site and learn more about the proposed project and how you can participate.